Cross-Cultural Parenting Program
The program helps immigrant parents cope with parenting challenges in a new country and culture.
- Educational sessions for parents of children 0-6 years old
- Educational sessions for parents of teenagers
- Individual parenting skills support
- Customized educational sessions and support for fathers
- Customized educational sessions and support for grandparents
- Customized educational sessions and support for parents with children with disability
Customized educational sessions and support for live-in caregivers
- Understanding expectations of Canadian society
- Facilitator training workshops for service providers working with immigrant families
The program is available for live-in caregivers and all immigrant parents and grandparents, including Canadian citizens with language and cultural barriers.
Additional Program Information
- Parents learn how to connect their cultural values with Canadian expectations
- Parenting courses are offered over a period of six to eight weeks (two-hour sessions, twice a week)
- The program is available at various locations throughout Calgary
- Program manuals are available in the following languages:Arabic, Dinka, Farsi, Hindi, Korean, Mandarin, Spanish, Urdu and Vietnamese
- Referrals to other CIWA programs help participants access additional supports
Free childcare and first language is available.