Who We Are
Empower immigrant women. Enrich Canadian society.
To engage and integrate all immigrant women and their families in the community.
Integrity. Equity. Inclusiveness. Innovation. Leadership.
Calgary Immigrant Women's Association (CIWA) is a non-profit organization established in 1982 as a registered charity. CIWA is a culturally diverse settlement agency that recognizes, responds to, and focuses on the unique concerns and needs of immigrant and refugee women, girls, and their families. CIWA’s uniqueness is based on its gender specific mandate. Over the years, we have continually responded to emerging needs of immigrant women and girls, developed innovative programs, established meaningful partnerships, and have come to be recognized as a provincial and national leader in outcome-based gender-specific settlement services.
CIWA offers programs and services that use a holistic approach to support clients in the areas of settlement and integration, literacy and language training, employment support and bridging programs, family violence, parenting, individual counselling, in-home support, civic engagement, health, housing, and community development. All clients have access to childcare and first language support during group sessions and individual appointments.
- We offer 55 programs and services for immigrant women and their families
- We host programs and services in over 90 community locations
- Clients fleeing family violence have access to emergency housing support
- Childcare support is available for all clients attending CIWA services (including services in community locations)
- Certified interpreters and translators offer services in 37 languages
- Over 230 businesses/employers collaborate with us to support access to employment for immigrant women