This project provides certified training in community interpretation and hands-on experience in translation to CIWA volunteers.
14 weeks of classroom training based on the curriculum provided by Cultural Interpretation Services for Our Communities (CISOC), covering the fundamentals of language interpretation
6 weeks of work practicum, offering interpretation and translation experience
certification in Cultural Interpreter Language Interpretation Skills Assessment Test (CILISAT), approved by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
practical training to become a certified community interpreter.
employment skills training
job search support
English language enhancement
volunteer and work experience opportunities with CIWA and its community partners
This program is available to immigrant women who are permanent residents and currently volunteering with CIWA. Candidates must have Canadian Language Benchmark of 7 and higher as well as oral and written proficiency in a second language.
Additional Program Information
- participants are reimbursed for childcare and transportation costs
- participants enhance networking skills
- individual career planning support available for all participants
- guest speakers from the translation and interpretation business share their experiences
- the program, based on the social enterprise model, collaborates with businesses and non-profit organizations to offer paid interpretation and translation work to program graduates
- referrals to other CIWA programs help participants to access additional support service
Free childcare is available.
For more information please email